Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tonsil-yuck-tomy


On December 29th, I had my tonsils removed for reasons I care not to share and am certain that you'd rather not hear. I had been told that it was horrendous to have them taken out as an adult. Awful. Excruciating. But I had went through some pretty horrible pain after the birth of our 2nd child and was pretty sure I could handle it.

Let me say this about my recovery. It is lasting FOREVER!!! I am so stir crazy I can not even wait to blow out of this popsicle joint and see the girls at the gym and chat with mommies in the halls at church.

First, let's talk about the surgery.

Pretty much what I expected. Get there, sign in, no make-up, no jewelry, blah blah. Nurse. Check. Doc. Check. Anesthesiologist. Check. Wheeling me into the surgery and all sorts of things start to come out.

I chit chat with the nurse as she tries to ease the typical fear that patients have. Didn't have those. She asks me what I do in my spare time. Mommy, work out, etc. "Oh honey, no working out for a while for you. There are lots of blood vessels or arteries or something that we have as adults in our tonsil area and if you start bouncing around, they could burst and you could bleed to death." Nice. No one mentioned this to me. Would've pranced right into my 9:30 Body Design class, started the mountain climbers and then fell on the floor with blood gushing out my mouth as Hanna continues to kick every one's tails in cardio. So no working out for 14 days or so and slowly ease back. Got it.

But then... they begin strapping me in with this enormous black belt. WAIT A MINUTE!! This is a tonsillectomy. What kind of procedure do you have me signed up for exactly?? Are you removing part of my brain?? Wheres Mc Dreamy?

Knocked out. Wake up. Oh yeah. There it is. The extreme sore throat that continues to hang around and will be here for another few. Fun.

My girl was there long enough to see me ask for a vomit bucket and more pain meds before I pass out again. Lovely. Thanks for not taking the blackmail pictures. Can't promise the same if the roles are reversed someday.

The pain has been bad. Not gonna lie. Not as bad as baby number 2's birth. As you can see, I have been on liquid Lortab. 3 bottles and resisting the urge to call and ask for the 4th. Some days I can't even tell I took the pain meds. That's pretty bad.
AND there was that tiny little thing that happened on day 2 post. My uvula had swollen 10 time the normal size. Not surprised that this happened to me since all of the discusting freakish things usually do. Pretty much felt like my thoat was closed seeing as how each time I took a drink, water would dribble out the sides of my mouth and down the front of my shirt like a psych patient. Very glamorous.

AND the not talking. ABOUT TO KILL ME. Wasn't really expecting that one either. I can maybe limit myself to a 15 minute phone convo and that's really pushing it.

AND I missed a week of Christmas break with my kiddos and hubby because I was passed out. Would've rather been watching movies and playing the Wii with my Jackson.

Heard enough whining yet?? There is more than one postive.

1- I have a refound apprecaiton/love again for Food network, more so, Racheal Ray. She is fun. Why do some people hate her. Everyone, let's not hate Rachael Ray because of her fun-ness. She's likable and I like likable people.

2-I have felt so surrounded in love by some friends from church. They took our son to keep him from being bored. They brought my family meals nightly so they wouldn't have to run out for fast food every night. They called, texted, and laid cards on my front porch to make sure we were doing well and making it. THANK YOU LORD FOR LOVED ONES.

3- My parents who came up for a few days to cart the kids around, do laundry, dishes and take Jackson to spend Christmas money at Wal-mart to buy the new Ben-10 Legos. Thank you for driving 2 hours for that.

4- My husband is a dream. My wonderful, who woke up to give me meds in the middle of the night, who took care of me, who took care of our kids, and made sure that I was ok that first week home. I love you sweet. You're amazing.

It has been awful. Hopefully it will all be over soon and all be chattering like my old self in no time.

3 comments:

The Daniel Family said...

Bless your heart! Hope you are on the mend soon!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Gosh girlie!!! I have not had that done so I cannot even fathom the amount of pain you have been dealing with!! Thank God for such a great Hubby and family and friends!! I hope you get to feeling better soon!!

Unknown said...

Hope you're feeling better by now! I can totally handle being pregnant and having babies but I can't imagine going through that kind of misery. Glad your family and friends were around to take such good care of you!