Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Faster than Lightening


I can honestly say, I have had self esteem issues most of my life, which I continue to struggle with. I have the typical body dis morphia junk that most women have, Exaggerated by childbirth and my crazy head. My husband doesn't get it. He's a dude and is committed to love me forever. Therefore, he has some sort of blinders on when it came to me stepping into a bathing suit or going to a pool with a full body cover up.

I have NEVER been athletic. I am the epitome of clumsiness and am always falling over my feet and running into walls. That's me and can't change it. Oh how I longed to be that cheerleader who could do flips in the air and kick her toe above her head. That would have been comical. The pyramid would be falling over and everyones legs and arms would be broken because of my inability to walk in a straight line. Instead I chose to be the funny girl and laugh at myself then cry about all of of inabilities in the corner because I believed them to be true. I wanted to excel at something... to be great.

Since giving birth to our 3rd child, Ava, I wanted to feel more comfortable about myself and the way that my post baby body looked. Stop whining about it and do something Seeny!!! You can say I went a Little overboard. Working out for 5 + hours a day, whenever someone was napping, and watching every calorie that I put into my mouth. Lost the baby weight and discovered something. I liked the feeling I had after I finished a workout. I felt happier and strong and proud that I had done something for ME.

My sweet husband agreed to get us a membership at our local YMCA The kids and I go to most days, staying until they page me or my Kid zone time limit has been reached. I Love that I can see muscles in my arms and that I can take my kids to the pool and play without feeling like I need to run and throw on a cover-up to hide my many flaws that continue to be on my Mommy Bod. Which leads me to this...

I want to be a runner. I do an hour of cardio a day but struggle with running on land because of shin splints. This will not beat me!!! A friend invited whoever was willing to do the 5K run in the Race for the Cure. The 5 of us ran, talked, ran a little, and talked allot then ran in for the stellar finish. Very fun and So very proud that I ran as much as I did, and did a ..."RACE". (OK, so it wasn't competitive and our time isn't really important.) I did it and it was fun and I now I want to do more. We are all on board for the Turkey Trot in November. Our goal, to run the entire time. BUT WHEN WILL WE TALK??

4 comments:

The Daniel Family said...

You are awesome, girl! Your drive and determination are something to be written of...so I'm glad that you posted this! Way to be, darnit, way to be!

Jess said...

I love that you can't kick your toe over your head or do flips and that you were never a cheerleader!

And I love that you will never pressure me to do a step aerobics class because we would both get so confused and trip over everything.

And I love it when you link to me in your blog post. It makes me feel so special and famous.

Someone told me that you are supposed to be able to run and talk at the same time. That if you can't breathe and can't talk, that you're running too fast. Maybe that's our problem. We'll have to figure that out...

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Oh Seeny!!! I am glad that you are feeling good and getting in shape the way you want to!! To me the whole time I've known you, you have always been gorgeous!! But Trisha summed it up for me one time because I said something about having a "flabby" tummy and some other friends were like whatever your a toothpick...OK well tell me whats good about that?!?! So Trisha said EVERYONE has something on or in their bodies that they wish they could change so while others may think we look great our hearts and minds tell us different.. I too am hoping to start working out, it's just hard since I broke my back I have so much pain I'm afraid to do anything that might make it worse!!

But Congrats on all of your hard work!! You really do look amazing!!

The Hooper Family said...

Serena--I have a group of girlfriends that I have met at the Y over the years and we have the best time together. We do classes, and runs together and then go out afterwards to lunch or just Sonic for a coke. There's always time to talk!!! We've been known to workout for an hour, then spend the next hour in the lobby talking until our kidzone time is up!!! And of course we have our Girls' Nights where we just hang out without working out! Sometime, you should try Missy's classes at the west or NW...she's one of my girls! (and she will kick your butt to next week and back)